Hair Transplant Surgery is a gold standard for treatment of Male Pattern Baldness and Female Androgentic Alopecia. In addition to scalp hair restoration, hair transplants is widely used for restoring the eyebrows, facial hair – beard and moustache, and hair lost due to trauma or other forms of alopecia.
Hair transplantation is a surgical procedure. In this procedure, the surgeon takes hair from the back of the scalp and transplants them in the bald area. Starting from old punch graft technique, hair transplant has evolved to advanced techniques like Bio-FUE™ and Robotic Surgery. This is the reason that more and more number of people are today opting for this surgery worldwide.
According to ‘The Hair Society’, 35 million men and 21 million women suffer from the hair loss. But this procedure is more popular among the men; as per ISHRS’s 2017 census, 85.7% of procedures were performed on men, while 14.3% were performed on women. India today is seeing increased medical tourism because of quality procedure at an affordable cost. Along with India, hair transplant has also become very popular in Turkey.
We at Ak Clinics, leading hair transplant clinic in India offer quality hair transplant service to our patient under the supervision of our chief hair transplant surgeon Dr, Kapil Dua. If you have suffering from baldness or hair fall come and consult with our best hair transplant surgeon in India for better advice.
Hair transplant surgery is one of the most trending cosmetic surgeries for it completely natural results. But due to immense popularity lot of unethical practices are also prevailing. It has become more important than ever before to visit a good hair clinic to know the cause of hair loss and the treatment options best suitable for your condition.
You can get this procedure for following medical & aesthetic indications:
- Male pattern (MPB) and female pattern baldness (FAGA)
- Scarring alopecia
- Traction alopecia
- Beard reshaping
- Scar reconstruction - Burns/Injury scars
- Long standing cases of Alopecia Areata
- Hairline corrections
- Moustache reshaping
- Eyebrow and eyelash transplant
- Revision hair transplant
Who are the suitable candidates for Hair Transplant?
As a general rule, when a clear-cut baldness pattern has established and patient has a healthy donor area, hair transplant can be planned. But it is important to establish the reasons for hair loss. In many-a-cases the procedure may not be advisable or advisable in due course of time only or even after a pre-treatment
During the consultation, our experienced counselors and surgeons diagnose the condition & help you to reach the decision in planning the hair restoration journey. Following are the few key factors which makes a person right candidate for the hair transplant:
- A diagnosis of the reason for hair loss that is amenable to the surgeon for hair transplantation
- Adequate hair on donor area to satisfy current and future needs
- Realistic expectations about surgical hair restoration can accomplish
Once the surgery is planned, you need to prepare for the procedure. Make sure to have a detailed discussion about the pre-procedure requirements.
- Must give your detailed medical history including any medications, drugs or herbs that you may be using & your lifestyle, addictions and allergies.
- Stop using Minoxidil or taking any non-approved drugs or alcohol at least 7-10 days before the surgery.
- Stop smoking if possible as it remarkably affects your overall results. But if you do share it with your doctor so that he plans your surgery day accordingly.
- Do not take aspirin or any blood thinning medicines at least 4 days before the surgery.
- Get all the routine blood tests done.
- Have a good sleep a night before and a full breakfast on the day of the surgery.
- Shampoo your hair properly preferably night before & on the morning of surgery.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothes or buttoned t-shirt which can be taken off easily.
If you are planning for a hair transplant, the first step would be to know if you are a candidate or not. To know that and to make sure that you are going in the right direction, you should:
- Look for the dedicated clinic set up incorporating all the advanced techniques and specialized instruments. Beware of quacks and marketing terms like "scar less surgery, no incision, no cutting, hair-multiplication or no blood".
- Go for detailed counselling session with the surgeon to know everything about the cause of your hair loss; and to know if hair transplant is the best of treatment in your condition and its limitations. Also preferably take other decision makers in your life for this session so that they are also clear about the procedure.
- Your doctor would want to do a hair analysis test for you to know the total grafts per sq.cm. that can be extracted from donor area. Similarly, for the recipient site he will plan the hairline if included and the distribution of grafts in a way which gives the best cosmetic density.
- Discuss about the hair transplant cost, remember Cheapest is not always the best choice especially when it come to your health.
- Insist on proper demonstration and counting of extracted grafts.
- Choose your surgeon wisely. Look for well-trained hair transplant surgeon with appropriate qualification and years of experience and if possible, with excellence in the same field.
- Have realistic expectations & convey that to your surgeon. It is just the rearrangement of your already existing hair so must share which area you prefer to cover, or whether you want coverage or density.
- Check for the condition of the Operation Theatre: It should be safe, hygienic with presence of emergency drugs and emergency management plan.
- Discuss which is best suitable technique for your case FUE, Bio-FUE TM, FUT, or combination of any of these.
Hair transplant is a time consuming procedure so it is very important that you reach the clinic at the appointed time. You will be asked to change into the dress provided by the clinic and then prepared for the surgery.
- After deciding the final desired hairline and total number of grafts, you will need to sign the final consent.
- Photographs will be taken to record the clinical profile for assessing the results in future.
- Your doctor will give you some medicines to ensure your comfort and safety during the surgery.
- The trained nurse will check your vitals - Pulse and Blood pressure.
- Your hair will be trimmed off according to the decided method of surgery. You can go for partial trim, full trim or no trim after discussing your options with your doctor.
- You might need to color your hair if there are white hair to improve their visibility for the surgeon.
- After the preparation, you will be taken to the operation theatre and made to lie down on your back for the surgery.
- You may be allowed to take breaks intermittently.
- Once the surgery is over, your scalp will be cleaned properly, photographs will be taken and donor area will be bandaged.
- After your surgery, your scalp will be tender and your surgeon will give you some painkillers, antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medications.
- You will have to spray normal saline over the transplanted hair after every 1 hour for first 2 days and then after every 2 hours for next 5 days.
- You should avoid vigorous exercise for first 2 weeks, after which you can resume your light exercises till 3 weeks.
- You may be advised some medical therapy after the procedure especially for your existing hair.
- You will have to wear a surgical cap for 3 days and a headband for 7 days to prevent any swelling over the forehead.
- You will be washing your head after 7 days of the surgery by coming to the clinic.
- You should keep in mind that the transplanted hair, fall out usually 2 to 4 weeks after the surgery. You can start seeing the regrowth after 3-4 months, you can expect 40% of results after 6 months. It will take almost 12-18 months to see the final outcome of the surgery.
What are the Side Effects of Hair Transplant Surgery?
There hardly any permanent side effects know about hair transplant surgery. You can face some common side effects but they are generally 100% reversible. They will be gone within few days to some months. However, in the hands of expert surgeons, the risk of these side effects is minimal.
You can face swelling on the forehead or at the site of transplantation. This swelling will be reduced after 3-4 days. At AK Clinics, to prevent the swelling, we use bandage on the forehead and advise some simple exercises. Our patients rarely experience any swelling.
Redness on the site of implantation is also common. This redness is due to slits or incisions on the recipient site. This will go slowly with the time but this will not hinder your daily activities.
Due to the anesthesia, you may feel numbness on the scalp or on the site of implantation. You may feel numbness up to few weeks or in some cases, this numbness lasts up to few months.
At the sites of incision, bleeding may occur even after the hair transplant surgery. Don’t’ panic. Just use cotton swabs on the site of bleeding and this will stop after few hours.
As hair transplant is a surgical process and cuts/slits are made on the scalp, you may feel some pain during or after the procedure. Generally painkillers are prescribed after the surgery to get rid of the pain. At AK Clinics, our surgeons use numbing gel first and then local anesthesia to curb the pain sensations.
After the surgery, there will be scab formation on the scalp. This may cause itching on you scalp. Try not to do so. This may causes hair follicles to fall off and your growth results will be affected.
What are the Types of Hair Transplant?
With the advancements, hair transplant techniques have evolved. Now, not only the hair can be transplanted on scalp only, they can be transplanted on different parts of the body. The different types of hair transplant are;
FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) is a more sophisticated method. In this method individual grafts are taken out one by one and placed in the bald area. This is the reason there is no linear scar, but just only tiny, inconspicuous dot-like scars. Though unlike the popular myth, FUE is not a scar-less surgery.
FUT Hair Transplant
FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation), also known as strip surgery, is an ideal choice for patients with higher grade of baldness. In this procedure, the hair bearing skin is removed by using a scalpel and the resultant gap is sutured together. This strip is divided in grafts and then implanted on the recipient area.
Bio-FUETM is an advanced version of FUE hair transplant developed by AK Clinics team of doctors. It is a long-term customized plan for hair restoration using indigenous equipment like ‘Flat Punch’. Also, this takes into account the fact that every patient is different, so needs different plan.
Bio-DHTTM Hair Transplant
Bio-DHTTM is a further improvement of Bio-FUE™ in which the extraction and implantation of grafts happen at the same time. This helps in reducing the out-of-body time of grafts to a minimum and hence improves the graft survival. This is also being currently studied by the ISHRS FUE Research Committee.
Facial Hair Transplant
Facial Hair Transplant is carried out for the restoration of areas like eyebrows, eyelashes, mustache, beard and sideburns. The hair is generally taken from the back of the head through FUE or FUT and transplanted on the face. Though this procedure very safe but requires very high skill due to the importance of hair direction.
Body Hair Transplant
Body hair transplant is used in patients with weak donor area. There are many areas of the body from which grafts can be harvested like chest, back, pubis, armpits etc but the best source is beard grafts. The body hair is usually give good results when used in conjunction with the scalp hair.
Beard Hair Transplant
Beard transplant is a type of facial hair transplant but is increasingly becoming more and more popular among the youth. Inadequate facial hair becomes a source of embarrassment as this is generally linked to masculinity. The procedure though simple needs a highly experienced surgeon to give a natural look.
Giga Sessions at AK Clinics
A giga-session is a very careful combination of a follicular unit transplant and a follicular unit extraction. This is actually the best bet when you have the requirement for more than 5000 grafts. With our expertise, we can extract close to 4000-4500 grafts from the scalp alone with this technique and the rest by Body Hair Transplant.
How is each Hair Transplant Step Different at AK Clinics
The general principle of the procedure is based on the fact that the hair that originates in the permanent area or Safe donor area’ are not affected by the DHT. Since, the genetic vulnerability to the DHT residues in the hair follicle, the implanted hair will be resistant to the effect of DHT and will continue to grow. At AK Clinics, we have improvised each and every steps of the hair transplant to give results in most patients. Though this is a medical procedure and has its limitations but still it is really rewarding at AK Clinics. Following is how we have developed our own technique Bio-FUE™ and improvised the conventional technique.
Planning & Hairline Design
Surgical Hair Restoration is both art and science. The intention is to use minimum grafts to give natural look keeping in mind that the patient should age gracefully. Before surgery, our surgeon discusses and does the necessary planning to create the hairline design with AK Clinics’ methodology. The plan is always realistic and closest to patient’s need or expectation.
Donor Area Trimming & Local Anesthesia
Our technique ensures very comfortable experience during this process. On the day of surgery, donor area is trimmed properly for graft harvesting. At AK Clinics, local anesthesia is virtually pain free. First, a numbing cream or gel is applied to minimize the pain while administering the anesthesia. We use nerve blocks along with anesthesia through thinnest needles to give comfort to the patient. Further the use of vibrator along further reduces the pain sensation.
Recipient Site Creation or Slit making
This is a very critical procedure and this decides the final direction and density. Our Surgeons perform the slit-makingas the 1st step. This gives 2 benefits, one it minimizes the out of body time of grafts and second the planning is fresh in the mind – so the extraction is planned accordingly. We use customized CTS (cut to size) blades that ensure proper depth reducing the trauma to underlying vessels.
After the slit making, hair follicles are extracted using ‘FLAT Punch’ designed by our doctors. With the use of Flat Punch, there will be minimal graft wastage. Grafts are extracted from the safe donor area only and the follicles are kept 100% hydrated. This ensures that minimal wastage of donor area happens and you can undergo further sessions
Graft Counting & Consent form
After the extraction, the patient asked to count the grafts. For ease the arrangement is made in row-column form.There after the patient signs the consent that he/she has counted the grafts. After this,the further implantation process is initiated. At AK Clinics, only 100% viable grafts are counted. The partially transected grafts may be implanted but not counted.
For graft implantation in pre-made slits, our technicians use double forceps and follow the FIRST-OUT-FIRST-IN methodology. A technician continually sprays the saline solution to keep the grafts hydrated. The use of double forceps or dilator ensures that there is no mechanical trauma to the grafts.
Get a free Assessment Report
Based on the relevant information, we tailor Hair Transplant assessment report for each patient helping him to make an informed decision.
Hair Transplant Cost
The cost of the hair transplant surgery is calculated as cost per graft or cost per follicle. The number of follicles or grafts is decided by your surgeon based on your grade of baldness and expectations. The total cost per grafts can become less if more number of grafts are needed.
The cost of hair transplant surgery will depend on :
- Location of the clinic
- Reputation of the clinic
- Surgeon's qualification, expertise and competence
- A national/ International board certified surgeon may charge more
- Total number of grafts/ follicles
- Method of surgery - DHT, FUE, FUT
- Grafts extracted from the beard or other body site may be charged more than the ones extracted from the scalp
What are the Advantages of Hair Transplant?
When you decide to go for a surgical hair restoration, it is important to know the key advantages. At AK Clinics, our motive is that every transplanted hair should grow. The most important thing our doctors have achieved is the level of expertise to provide great aesthetic look with minimum possible number of grafts. This hugely helps in saving the donor area.
Permanent ResultsIt is the only known permanent solution of baldness. During the hair transplant, our physicians only transplant the healthy and viable follicles from the safe donor area only. You can style, color or cut them as you want.
Natural ResultsHair transplant gives you the natural results as our doctors use the next generation Bio-FUE™ technique. They artistically transplant hair, complementing to the natural growth of the patient. This will give you healthy and natural results.
Negligible DowntimeAt AK Clinics, hair transplant surgery is simple and outpatient procedure. You can go back to your home at the same day of surgery as the procedure is minimally invasive. Please go through post-operative instructions to know in detail about the recovery period.
Safe ProcedureHair transplant surgery, if performed by an experienced surgeon, is generally a safe procedure. At the same time it is a surgical procedure and has the inherent risks that are associated with any minimally invasive surgeries. Our team of highly experienced surgeons takes care of the patient and procedure at every step so that there is minimal risk of any infection after the hair transplant surgery.
Difference Between FUE/FUT/DHT
|Shaving of the head needed||Shaving of only the donor strip site||Shaving of the head needed|
|Local anesthesia||Local anesthesia||Local anesthesia|
|Slit-making is done based on the total number of grafts needed|
|Individual hairs are removed from donor area one at a time||Hair bearing skin is removed from scalp and the gap is sutured together. The strip is then divided into grafts||Simultaneous extraction and implantation|
|Implantation done after extraction||Implantation done after strip excision||Done simultaneously with extraction|
|Minimal, tiny dot like scars||Linear scar||Minimal, tiny dot like scars|
|Minimally invasive||Invasive||Minimally invasive|
|Minimal bleeding||More bleeding||Minimal bleeding|
|Graft extraction entirely by surgeon||Graft dissection and silvering by trained technicians||Graft extraction entirely by surgeon|
|Less wastage||Comparatively more wastage||Less wastage|
|No dehydration of grafts||Dehydration might happen||No dehydration of grafts|
|Out of body time is less as compared to FUT||Out of body time for grafts is more as the dissection takes time||Out of body time for grafts is the least as compared to both FUE and FUT|
|Body hair can be used as grafts||Cannot be used for body hair extraction||Body hair can be used as grafts|
|No suture||Requires suturing||No suture|
|Minimal post- operative pain or discomfort||Post-operative pain but can be managed.||Minimal post- operative pain or discomfort|
|Lesser risk of infection||More chances of infection||Lesser risk of infection|
|Faster healing||Healing takes time||Faster healing|
|Can be done in almost all cases||Can be done in almost all cases||Better for lax scalp, older men and patients with reverse hairloss|
|Moderately expensive||Least expensive||Most expensive|
|Time consuming procedure||Time consuming procedure||More time consuming|
Hair Growth after the Surgery
How much time it will take to regrow? How many hair will grow every month? These are the common questions that people seek for after the surgery. It will take approximately 6-12 months for the new transplanted hair to grow. Following is a general growth illustration after the procedure.
The time after your transplant procedure is significantly important. It is vital that to understand the goals, complications or limitations of the hair transplant. The surgeon & team will explain you the complete schedule during the consultation& after the procedure. He may ask you to avoid:
- wearing hair piece or cap for few weeks
- hair styling tools or products
- heavy lifting or workout
- harsh shampoos etc.
Historical Evolution of Hair Transplantation
The development up to today’s latest hair transplant technique was started way back in the 1822 when Professor Dom Unger along with his student Diffenbach performed experimental surgery in human and animals of moving hair from area to the other. There are few mentions of people trying the same in the following decades. The modern surgical technique was first developed in Japan in 1930s but that was largely for trauma corrections. Dr. S. Okuda, a Japanese dermatologist, is known to have moved hair bearing skin to hairless areas. Hair Transplantation as treatment for androgenetic alopecia only became popular in 1959 with a paper of Norman Orentreich, MD.
1822: Dieffenbach described the experimental hair transplant surgery
1959: Norman Orentreich experiment with donor grafts to balding area-Hair plugs
1995: FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation) hair transplant technique
2002: FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) hair transplant technique introduced
2011: ARTAS system became the first FDA approved hair transplant robot
Why Choose AK Clinics for Hair Transplant?
Known as pioneers in the FUE technique, AK clinics has been delivering great results since 2007. We thrive to provide the highest quality results at affordable costs with our highly trained and experienced surgeons and team. Hair transplant at AK Clinics is done using our trademarked Bio-FUETM technique which offers excellent results. It is a long term customised plan for hair restoration for our patients. The hair follicles are extracted by our special technique along with administration of growth factors into the scalp also known as ( Bio Therapy). Bio-therapy helps in boosting the hair growth process, facilitates faster healing and improves the texture of the hair, giving the most optimal results from the surgery.
We also aim to provide the best quality in every step of your surgery in our ultra-hygienic OTs in the following ways :
- Virtually pain-free local anesthesia.
- Innovative and customized slit making using CTS ( cut-to-size) blades, causing less trauma or bleeding.
- Best quality extraction from the safe zone using blunt punches with wastage less than 3%.
- "First-out-First-in" technique for implantation to get the better yield and results.
- Minimum out-of-body time of grafts .
- Exact number of grafts given by counting.
- Minimal dehydration or mechanical trauma.
Blog/Case Studies/Success Stories
Before/After Hair Transplant
I started facing hair loss at the age of 26 but it was not very noticeable. But at 29 the hair loss progressed very quickly and crown almost became empty. And further my hair line receded quickly. Now at the age of 31 I started looking very old. I tried many medicines like homeopathic etc etc but nothing seems to work. Then I started searching for my options and finally decided for a hair transplant.
I can see good results post-transplant. Overall good. As suggested, I may go for further transplant for crown area. I am currently taking 6 months cyclical therapy again to stop hair fall. Then will take the decision accordingly. I can say I would prefer someone for A K Clinic. As it is giving person the way to live more happily..?
"Had a hair transplant at AK Clinics under care of Dr KAPIL DUA. And after treatment it has been 3 month now and I have very much inproved growing hair. He is best surgeon ever seen and very experienced in this art. They also provided very good atmosphere while surgery. With his experience he gave very confident to his patients while surgery.
"After talking to Dr Kapil I have decided to go for a hair transplant surgery which turned out to be very good. Total of 6000 grafts were transplanted. The density was medium density. The procedure was FUE without any scar. The procedure was by done both Dr Kapil and Dr Aman. I strongly recommend anyone who is looking for a FUE surgery in India."
AK Clinics Hair Transplant Centres in India
- 51-E, Sarabha Nagar, Opp Kipps Market, Ludhiana, Punjab 141001, India
- M-20, Greater Kailash I, Near M Block Market, New Delhi-110048, India
- 1st Floor, 316 The Mayfair, Indiranagar, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560038, India